Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Well Deserved Me Time

I feel there are a few universal truths and one of them is the importance of "me time." Before having children I knew I would have less "me" time but I never imagined how little I would really get in the course of a day, a week, a year. In fact, I had this moment of panic after having my first child, "what about me?", as I changed another diaper, ate less food than a bird and didn't get out of pajamas for days. Of course here I am, two more children later and most nights I actually get to sleep a full eight hours and even shower, but my initial panic still pops up now and again.

Each Mother recharges in their own way. I love to get away, by myself, for a few days and watch tv, read a book, order room service and just take care of me. In the early days, taking time for me was the thirty minutes my daughter would sleep without me, now it is the few minutes while the girls watch a documentary, or when they are at dance. However, finding a way to recharge, reconnecting with yourself, is essential to keeping your inner peace and joy flowing. Carve out a day for just you and don't feel guilty- "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about that. I wish I had someone who could watch my children. I get a little jealous of moms who have helpful grandmas near by. The only time I get is at night after they are asleep, and usually I'm very tired, but I manage to get a few things done. I just have to get through these early years! I keep reminding myself how quickly it will pass.

    ReplyDelete